Ulang County calm after attack on SPLA-IO boat convoy
Relative calm has returned to Ulang County in South Sudan’s Upper Nile State following last month’s attack on an SPLA-IO boat convoy by armed youth.
In late March, boats carrying SPLA-IO forces en route to Gutmakur in Jonglei for the army reunification process were attacked by armed Aying youth in apparent revenge. Seven soldiers were killed and 10 others were injured during the attack.
Speaking to Radio Tamazuj Wednesday, William Gatjath Deng, the SPLA-IO spokesperson, said calm had returned to the Ulang area following the March attack as they deployed forces to the area.
“There has been relative calm in the Ating area since the attack on our forces. Lives have returned to the normalcy,” Gatjath said.
The SPLA-IO officer, however, pointed out that the culprits behind the March attack have not yet to be arrested.
“No arrest has been made so far. Those attackers fled the area but they had already been identified and we are working with the local authorities and the community leaders so that those involved in the attack are arrested and brought to book,” he added.
For his part, James Tor Monybuny, the state deputy governor, confirmed the security situation is normal in Ulang, and that they are working with SPLM-IO leadership to apprehend the culprits.